Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Peanut "Peanut Butter Cup" Cookies



So looking back at my first post, I realize that the task of making cutout cookies is a little bit daunting. So this weeks selection is much much easier. I whipped these up yesterday afternoon while the kids sat and ate their after school snack. They only took an hour start to finish. Needless to say they're exponentially faster than the 2-3 day cutout cookie saga.

I came across a wonderful idea for using up some of our left over Halloween Candy. This week we will be using a dozen peanut butter cups!! Or in my case, the kids got 1 peanut butter cup and thus I had to go out and buy a bag, but it was on sale! The original recipe was featured in Real Simple magazine, October 2009. I've adapted it slightly as I was hoping it would have more of a peanut butter cookie base. I think the modifications have actually helped enhance the flavour created by the addition of the cups.

Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies
-Peanut "Peanut Butter Cup" Cookies-

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
12 regular size peanut butter cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl cream the butter and peanut butter. I melted the butter slightly in the microwave using the defrost setting. I made sure not to melt it fully as I just want to soften it so it would blend well with the peanut butter.

Add the sugars and vanilla to the "butters" and mix well. Next, beat the eggs into this wet mixture. Set aside.



In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. I didn't add any salt to this recipe and I almost never add salt. I generally buy salted butter, so instead of keeping unsalted in the house for baking, I just omit salt from recipes.

Cut your peanut butter cups into chunks, about the size of a chocolate chip, set aside.



Add the flour mixture a 1/2 cup at a time to the wet mixture. By the final addition you'll have to use your hands to get the dough mixed well.

Gently fold in the candy chunks.

This dough will feel very dry, and it's impossible to stir with a spoon, you'll have to get your hands dirty. The heat from your hands will warm the butters and make the dough a little more pliable.

Roll dough into balls and press down lightly onto baking sheet.



Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.

While you have the first batch cooking, I like to continue rolling the dough and setting it aside to save time.

Enjoy!

1 comment: